collaborating with the BMA,
Department of Health and NHS Pensions Agency.
Laurence is the senior partner at Ramsay Brown, having spent more than 30 years as a partner looking after clients’ interests with particular expertise in the healthcare sector.
He has looked after GP practices of all shapes and sizes, worked as an adviser to both the Department of Health and the BMA as well as an expert witness in cases involving disputes between GP partners.
He writes in the medical press on tax and financial issues affecting GPs and is the author of ‘How to Run a GP Practice’ published by Blackwell-Wiley. Laurence lectures in the UK and overseas on tax and finance in primary care.
His clients value his clarity of thought and ability to explain complex issues succinctly. His integrity and honesty has built up a loyal following.
Laurence is an innovator, always looking at new opportunities, new ways of working, and new topics to learn. He pioneered the Ramsay Brown Cloud Accounting Ltd business which with Xero has enabled many clients to upgrade their accounting and be ready for Making Tax Digital. On a personal level, Laurence completed a part-time degree in Classics in 2015 after seven years. The ever-changing landscape in Primary care keeps his mind busy!
Laurence cares deeply about the environment and wildlife, he is a trustee of The Panton Trust that supports wildlife charities and is besotted with his adopted cat Percy.
Laurence is married to a GP and they have four children.
- Currently advises more than 200 GP practices federations and networks and more than 1,200 GPs
- Represented GP in the High Court in 2001 whose claim was successful
- Represented GP in the High Court in 2012 whose claim was successful. Laurence evidence was described as a bravura performance by lead counsel
- Represented two GP in 2016 in a successful claim against another partner
- Adviser to the NHS Management Executive 1996 -2006
- Member of the Pensions Subcommittee dealing with Superannuation Certificates 2004
- Member of their BMA Subcommittee dealing with the publication of earnings – 2005
- Member of the Haymarket Editorial Board subcommittee publishing content
- Partner at Ramsay Brown LLP – April 2019
- Partner at Ramsay Brown and Partners – September 1985 to March 2019
- Director of Ramsay Brown Cloud Accounting Ltd – 2015 to date
- Director of Ramsay Brown Financial Services Ltd – 1990 to date
- Professional Memberships – Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Alma Mater – London Guildhall University 1980